What could be better than having a safer way to keep your furry pooch within a certain perimeter, without having to build a physical structure. Well, I don’t think anything could be better, in fact, I think it’s super awesome!
Some folks might be wondering how this can be done; well it shouldn’t come as a surprise that this can be achieved with the help of a cool technology known as a wireless dog fence. Have you heard of it?
This impressive device has been coming in handy for many dog lovers who wish to sit at home or go to work without having to worry about the whereabouts of their four-legged friends.
Wireless dog fences are sure to be an excellent option in quite a number of situations, like when you are not allowed to erect a traditional fence because you are living on a rented property or when your home is prohibited from having a fence due to neighborhood bylaws.
So, before I reveal my top choices for this amazing technology for 2017, I’ll like you to know exactly what wireless dog fences are?
Table of Contents
What Is a Wireless Fence?
A wireless dog fence is more like your traditional fence, just that it is way cooler and safer for your pets. One thing you’re going to love is that a wireless fence is invisible. You don’t really have to spend a lot of time thinking about design options. You can even design a wireless fence to fit in shapes as well as areas that a traditional fence cannot be built. This is sure to work well if you own an odd shaped yard that shares a very close border on your neighbor’s property.
Taking a decision to get a wireless dog fence is sure to be an excellent choice.
How To Use A Wireless Dog Fence
Let us briefly look at how you can make use of a wireless fence before we start listing the top five selections. As I mentioned earlier, owning a wireless dog fence is crucial at moments when you need to keep your dog within a particular space.
The device typically comes with a transmitter and receiver that is on the collar. For starters, plug in the transmitter somewhere around your home. Once you’re done, the same transmitter will emit a radio signal around your house. At this moment, your pooch will be wearing the lightweight receiver collar which listens to the signal. While it’s getting the signal, your furry buddy is free time run and play around the yard, but when the collar approaches the boundary, it gives him a warning beep.
If your dog ignores the beep and continues his adventures, he’ll receive a light, harmless static energy pulse. With the right training that’s pretty straightforward and quick, your pooch quickly figures out his boundaries.
The best fence set up will include step by step training guides as well as markers or flags to help train your dog to stay within the space that has been enclosed. You should also know that wireless dog fences tend to come from different brands and without the right knowledge, you might end up going for the wrong product or you might have a hard time finding the best one for the job.
|PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System||5.1 pounds||11 x 12 x 9 inches|
|PetSafe Wireless Fence||5.3 pounds||12 x 12 x 3 inches|
|PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Dog Fence||4.5 pounds||8.6 x 7.8 x 10.6 inches|
|Friendly Pet Products Wireless Dog Fence||3.9 pounds||13 x 10.9 x 2.3 inches|
|Havahart Wireless Dog Fence||3.4 pounds||13.5 x 11.2 x 3.3 inches|
Taking the first place on our list is the PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System. This super handy system can help train more than one mutt around the boundaries. One good thing about this system is that it is very easy to install and it covers a flexible circular area of about half acre. Want to know the best part? Well, it goes that you only have to plug in the transmitter and it will emit a consistent radio signal which you can adjust between a 5 and 90 feet coverage. This wireless dog fence is 100% safe for your pet, and its portability gives you the chance to take it anywhere you want to set a boundary for your dog.
This containment is ideal for dogs that weigh over 8 pounds and with neck sizes that range from 6 to 28 inches. The PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System also comes with a PIF-275 collar which is powered by a 6-volt battery. You should also know that the collar is waterproof and it typically functions by delivering mild electric shock via its receiver when your pooch strays away from his area. It also offers up to five levels of static correction coupled with a tone only mode to help give your dog the best training. This is undoubtedly one of the best wireless dog fences you can get it to keep your pooch in place.
Taking the second place is yet another product from the home of PetSafe. First starters, the PetSafe Wireless Fence (PIF-300) is one of the best wireless dog fence systems that’s very easy to use. As usual, the product doesn’t require any wire to bury in the ground, and the entire setup will take about an hour or less.
This invisible dog fence will cover a circular area of up to 180 feet, as such, it’ll be more than sufficient for average sized yards. Moreover, the area covered by the fence can be adjusted. This implies that you can keep your pooch closer to you as needed. Another good thing is that the unit is portable, so you can take to wherever you want to keep your pooch in his place. Lastly, the PetSafe Wireless Fence (PIF-300) can operate with multiple dog collars, so be sure to get a hold of the product if you happen to have more than one adventurous pooch.
Taking the third place in the countdown is another super product from PetSafe. The PetSafe PIF00-12917 features a lightweight, compact transmitter that 100% wireless. This alone has made this excellent device to be one of the best wireless dog fences you can get for your fur babies. This super handy system creates a circular boundary that contains your pet from 22 to 105 feet in all possible directions. The whole system is very easy to assemble, you should be done with the setup in about 1 to 2 hours max.
One cool thing about this system is its capability to hold dogs that weigh 5 pounds and above. Also, the comfortable collar is sure to fit dogs with neck sizes that range from 6 to 23 inches. Just like the previous PetSafe product, the PetSafe PIF00-12917 receiver collar is waterproof. You don’t have to replace batteries as it comes with a built-in rechargeable battery that charges quickly and last for up to 3 weeks (this solely depends on the frequency of use). It is also noteworthy to mention that this containment system can contain an unlimited number of fur babies as long as they a nice little collar on their necks. With a choice between the tone-only mode or 5 adjustable levels of static correction, this system is sure to give you the best bang for your buck.
Next up is this quality dog fence from the home of Friendly Pet Products. This super handy product comes fully equipped with both radio and Wi-Fi connection so you can stay fully connected to the activities of your pooch. It features an In-ground fence cord that allows you create your fence without radio holes. The entire control mechanism is very easy and 100% safe for your pets, your peace of mind is guaranteed. Collars are waterproof and the come with up to 5 levels of static correction. Finally, this top-notch fence technology covers about 1/3 of an acre, and it is still expandable up to 5 acres, it all depends on your specific needs. So, if you’re looking for a quality wireless dog fence on the budget, the Friendly Pet Products Wireless Dog Fence is sure to be your best bet. I should also break it to you that some owners were not so happy with the collar of this product, Just thought I should give you a heads up.
Coming fifth place is this radial shaped wireless dog fence. This quality product from Havahart is sure to keep your fur babies in place as it creates a very flexible circular boundary that ranges from 40 to 400 feet in all directions. The system comes with one rechargeable, waterproof collar that is sure to fit dogs that weigh above 8 pounds and those with neck sizes ranging from 14 to 26 inches. The collar settings can be customized according to your needs. Another great thing is that this system comes with a handy installation manual that makes the entire setup as easy as ABC. The best part is that you don’t even have to dig a trench to bury wires.
The Havahart wireless dog fence also features an easy-to-read LCD screen. This is sure to come in handy for making adjustments and corrections to the level of the static correction for your dog. Like I stated earlier, this system comes with only one collar. Nevertheless, you can still adjust the system to allow you contain more than one mutt.
Wireless Dog Fence Buyer’s Guide
Before setting out to get this super cool technology for your home, there are quite a number of features you ought to put into consideration. I’m going to explore some of the most important ones you have to consider if you want to get the best value for your money.
- Coverage: When it comes to choosing wireless dog fences, one of the crucial factors you ought to put into consideration is the amount of land it can cover. It’s pretty obvious that you want to get a fence that is created to work on an area as large as your yard. In essence, if you happen to have a yard that is bigger than average, you have focused more on the coverage. Some devices will work fine for properties of up to half an acre while others will conveniently cover three-quarters of an acre or more. It all depends on your needs and preferences.
- Minimum Weight For Dog: Remember always to consider the minimum weight that the fence collar can be worn on. While this will depend largely on the strength of the shock delivered on the collar, it is still crucial. All in all, you wouldn’t have a problem when it comes to finding a wireless dog fence for both medium or large dog, but you may have search harder to get one for a smaller dog.
- Shocks and Beeps: The best dog fence should come with both a shock and beep mechanism depending on the size and stubbornness of your dog. Your ideal choice should have up to five levels of correction which will have different shock intensities. On the other hand, the beep sounds only when your dog starts to approach the fence but hasn’t reached it. In essence, the shock is more like a last resort while the beep is basically a warning that he is getting close to the fence.
- Size Of The Collar: Every wireless fence will come with at least one collar with the option to purchase more. Irrespective of the kind of dog you own, pay special attention to the collar size so you can make sure that it can be comfortable and ergonomic on your pooch.
- Waterproof Collar: If you have gone through this review, you will see that most systems come with a waterproof collar. Now, this is important, especially if your dog likes to go out in the rain or take a bath while wearing his collar.
- Built-in Rechargeable or Batteries: The transmitters and collars of a wireless dog fence will either be powered by your regular batteries or run on built-in rechargeable. Both of them should work fine, but I would recommend you go for rechargeable batteries.
- Capacity (Number of dogs): The best wireless dog fence should be able to accommodate an unlimited number of dogs. You shouldn’t forget to check this especially in a scenario where you own more than one pooch, or you plan on getting more fur babies in the future. In essence, always remember to check the maximum capacity of the fence so you can be on a safer side.
Well folks, there you have it. So far we have explored how you can keep your mutt in its place thanks to wireless dog fences. You can check out our selections and see which one works best for you and your fur baby.
All in all, these are the best brands available on the market and yes, the list of best wireless dog fence is made in an order of hierarchy. So, be sure to go for the one that is sure to give you the best value for the money. Always choose quality!
Smart Dog Lover is a place you will find knowledge and information about dogs that are easy to understand and apply. This includes advice on best toys, food, supplies for Fidos; guidance on dog breeds, behaviors, training, health, names and MORE! All dog lovers out there who want to be better at understanding and caring their dogs, Smart Dog Lover is your go-to place.
10 FREE Must-Have Apps For Dog Lovers